NSF Account Registration
Contract and Grant Lifecycle
- Roles and Responsibilities Matrix
- Proposal Preparation / Submission
- Preaward Administration
- Award Negotiation and Setup
- Post-Award Administration
- Outgoing Subawards
- Electronic Research Administration
- Export Controls
- Foreign Engagement
- Ethical and Responsible Conduct of Research
- NASA Restrictions on Funding Activity with China
- NSF Broader Impacts Criterion
- Material Transfer Agreements
- Data Management Resources
- Clinical Trials
- Pamis (Including eCAF)
- Reports (Annual, On Demand)
- Research Administrators INC
- Staff Directory
- UCR Contracting Guide
- Uniform Guidance
The National Science Foundation (NSF) has streamlined the NSF account registration process in Research.gov for the research community.
For UC Riverside employees who have never had an NSF FastLane ID, please register directly with NSF through Research.gov via this link: https://www.research.gov/accountmgmt/#/registration. You can also watch the Register for an NSF Account video.
This registration process will provide each new user with a single profile and unique identifier (i.e., NSF ID) for signing in to FastLane and Research.gov for proposal and award activities.
Migrate Your Existing NSF Account - THIS IS A ONE-TIME PROCESS.
To migrate your existing NSF account to NSF’s new account management system, you must verify your account’s primary email address and phone number. If you created your NSF account before March 23, 2018 and your email address is associated with more than one NSF account, you will be prompted to verify information. For more information about verifying your account information, download the PDF below.
Migrate Your Existing NSF Account - Account Management Guide
Existing NSF Accounts
Each user may only have one NSF ID per the Proposal & Award Policies & Procedures Guide (NSF 18-1), Chapter I.G.4.
- Users with existing an NSF account can access the NSF ID Lookup page for their NSF ID.
- Forgotten passwords for established NSF accounts may be retrieved here.
- Researchers transferring to UC Riverside, who previously had an NSF FastLane ID, should personally update their existing NSF FastLane profile to associate their account with UC Riverside. For step-by-step instructions with screen shots, please see Working at Multiple Organizations or Moving to Another Organization (pages 3 – 5).
- All researchers should have the Investigator user role.
- Department Administrators, who assist PIs/co-PIs with proposal preparation and award activities, will need to have two user roles: View Only and Other Authorized User (OAU). To add a new role, log into Research.gov, click ‘My Profile’, click ‘Add a New Role’, click ‘Add Organizational Role’, and select ‘View Only’. After requesting the View Only user role, your organization’s Administrator will receive the automated request electronically for processing. (Note: You cannot request the OAU user role. Rather, upon requesting the View Only user role, the Administrator will add the OAU user role, if approved.) An automated electronic email will notify the requester once the request has been processed.
- Account management training resources such as job aids, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), and instructional videos will be posted under the “About Account Management” page accessible on the Research.gov homepage.
- Account management training resources such as job aids, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs), and instructional videos are available via the “About Account Management” page accessible on the Research.gov homepage.
- For NSF Account-related questions, please contact the NSF FastLane Help Desk: 1-800-673-6188 (7 AM to 9 PM Eastern Time • M-F)
- For IT system-related questions, please contact the NSF IT Help Desk at 1-800-381-1532 or email email@example.com.
- NSF policy-related questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you would like to stay up-to-date on upcoming events or future enhancements to Research.gov and FastLane, subscribe to the System Updates NSF listserv. To subscribe, simply send an email to email@example.com and you will be automatically enrolled.